We have resumed eye exams and elective eye surgery. Click for more information.

healthy eyesightDid you know that our eyes help us perceive 80% of the world around us? The other 20% is perceived by our other four senses – sound, smell, taste, and touch. That’s why it’s incredibly important to maintain healthy eyesight by guarding your eyes, maintaining a healthy diet, quitting smoking, and taking proper care of your contacts.

If you’re in need of an eye exam, call Eyesight Associates today at 478-923-5872!

Consider these four tips for healthy eyesight:

Healthy Eyesight Tip 1: Guard Your Eyes

There are many elements of life that are harmful to your eyes. Fortunately, there are steps to take to minimize the damage. When you step outside, make sure to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. If you play sports, wear protective eye gear so flying objects do not pierce your eyes.

Healthy Eyesight Tip 2: Maintain a Healthy Diet

Most people know that carrots contribute to eye health. But, did you know that other fruits and vegetables are very beneficial, as well? Eat a diet full of leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, cabbage, and broccoli, and you will see the difference. Fish, such as salmon and tuna, also provides health benefits for your eyes.

Healthy Eyesight Tip 3: Quit Smoking

Smoking is incredibly harmful to your eyes. Research has shown that smoking can cause age-related diseases, such as cataracts and macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness. Your eyes, and the rest of your body, will greatly benefit from your decision to quit smoking.

Healthy Eyesight Tip 4: Take Proper Care of Your Contacts

Contacts are an incredible invention that contributes to healthy eyesight. However, make sure to take proper care of them to make certain that your eyes are not subject to bacteria. A few ways to protect your eyes include taking your contacts out at night, replacing your contacts after three months, and washing your hands before handling your contacts.

Taking proactive steps to ensure healthy eyesight is imperative. In addition to the above tips, schedule an eye exam at Eyesight Associates. Certain vision issues have no symptoms in their early stages but can be detected by a comprehensive eye exam.